Thursday, May 21, 2015

Zone and the Pinkie Pies


OMFG this work was fun to make!

And fun not just for the subject matter (when I originally posted this work online I included a rather overly-opinionated explanation of how I personally thought Zone's whole April Fools joke then further News Video staring zone-tan abusing people for not liking the joke, was rather a dick move, but meh) - but what was most enjoyable was practicing the MLP style itself - a flat shading style based on only two-tones per colour (one for main, one for shadows) but also using a third tone for the coloured outlines, resulting in a deceptively simple three-tone style that is still packed with colour and detail. A bit TOO much detail in this case (click on the image to view it at about half its original, excessively large resolution).

I would strongly recommend ANYONE getting into cell shading or flat shading to first try out the MLP style - the amount I learned practicing this style on just this work alone has been invaluable in all my art since!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment