Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tentacle Shading Tutorial, Pass 7

Pass 7, Lighting Reference



Here I again deferred to the talented silentfort to do a lighting pass - sketching over this image to draw where the shadows and lights should be.

Silentfort: When determining light and shadow, you first need to orient your light source (figure out what angle the light is coming from). Here the light is coming from above and slightly to the left of the image. Some artists will even draw an arrow on screen to remind themselves of the lighting angle.

Figuring out where light falls and shadows are cast can be tricky, but it's easier with practice. Think about the shapes of what you're drawing, how round or how flat they are, how much one part covers another. Wider areas, like the top of her head or the plump ends of her tentacles, will have broader lit areas. More delicate highlights can be used to clarify shapes like the top of her lip.

Also remember that while the underside of shapes will be in shadow, parts of her will cast shadows onto other parts as well, like the tentacle wrapping around her arm in the bottom right corner, or the two innermost tentacles casting shadows across the sides of face.

I used Paint Tool Sai for this (a program which wild horses couldn't drag me away from) and used a couple of layers at 50% opacity to trace over a .png of my drawing. I used one layer to sketch the lit areas, and a separate layer for shadows, making it easier to make corrections and erase mistakes as I went.

Hapto: Again lighting is an entire art-form in itself, one silentfort is MUCH better at than me, so I defer to their much greater knowledge when trying to rough out the lighting.

Using this lighting reference, I started drawing out all the shapes myself in Affinity, starting with the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment