Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tentacle Shading Tutorial, Pass 6

Pass 6, Flat Colors



The main image I used for color reference was this.

Ignoring the odd pose and strangely uninterested expressions, I found the range of blues in the draenei's skin to be really appealing.

I sample the mid-tone blue to use as a starting color, as well as the tentacle whites/creams from this again, made them a bit more pink, added blush to the cheeks and bingo - a basic flat color pass.

Historically this is where I'd give up - thinking that if it looked so flat and boring now, no ammount of extra work would fix it. How wrong I was. Nice looking shading is ALL ABOUT extra work, layers and layers of it added one after another. And what makes drawn skin and tentacles really shine (sorry about the pun) is the lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment