Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tentacle Shading Tutorial, Pass 4

Pass 4, Refinement



Art is all about refinement - finding what you like about an image and emphasizing it.

In this step I made a few changes.

The biggest change was doubling the line weight. This is because I wanted to be able to use this image as an avatar, so the lines had to be very clear even when the image was zoomed way out. You can also see the overall silhouette has changed, and we can see more of her body and chest.

Next was tweaking the shape of the lips. The initial concept from silentfort had a 'kitty' shaped mouth, but I wanted a more human shape. I Googled 'lips drawing tutorial' and studied the linework in the results I liked best. Exactly which line and shapes make the best lips is something there are MANY tutorials for.

Next was the tentacles, specifically the folds and suckers. Again I combed through lots of references images, this time of tentacles, and when I found one I liked I asked myself why I liked it, what made that drawing of tentacles look good and fleshy.

A HUGE part is shine and ping (which I'll get too soon), but some of it is linework, specifically in the folds as seen in My Pet Tentacle's work here. Note the tentacles down the bottom left, the way they're folded over themselves, looking nice and squishy. I applied that to my image wherever possible.

As for suckers I went back and forth between different references, including Google searches of 'octopus sucker drawing', 'squid sucker drawing' and 'tentacle hair drawing' (I usually add 'drawing' to the end of my searches, because a good drawing shows the most important details of a shape only). I found a few I really liked, but they were all a bit too detailed for the avatar image I wanted to make. So I started searching for more stylized Splatoon Hair, until I stumbled on this image, which was adorable and perfect in every way. The suckers I drew were based on this image.

Next step is, the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment