Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tentacle Shading Tutorial, Pass 5

Pass 5, Eyes



I'll often do eyes first, as I'm continually trying to get better at them, and the level of detail I manage to achieve sets the benchmark for the level of detail of everything else.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to re-find the exact eye tutorial I used in here, so I've tried to show the stages here. The only difference between the specific tutorial I used and the many other great eye tutorials out there, was adding a star like pattern to the eye for semi-realistic detail:

This star was then coloured (here in shades of blue), then added ontop of the purple oval of the iris using 'Add' transparency at 36%, i.e., so the star barely shows up at all, adding some subtle, half-seen detail. The black pupil was then added with a bit of blue around it, then the white highlights, then everything was blurred together.

In the above image I've left the blurring off of the eye on the right hand side, to show the enormous difference blurring makes to the final effect.

Next up, colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment