Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tentacle Shading Tutorial, Introduction

Welcome to my tentacle shading tutorial.

Here I'll be covering how to achieve the above image, step by step. The focus will be shading, not sketching. This is because I suck at sketching. I am a finishing artist - I can take concept art and turn it into polished, production art. Where I'm weakest is in creating said concept art in the first place. Thankfully my partner in crime, silentfort, is an extremely accomplished concept artist, who can take my insane ramblings and turn it into a powerful concept that conveys what I wanted.

I have to repeatedly remind myself that this is okay - in the same way that someone can be an expert electrician, but still not know how to build an entire house, one can be an expert artist in one of its many stages without having to be great at all of them, provided you can find other artists to collaborate with.

Or to return to the point - this will be a tutorial in what I am best at: shading, making flat images appear to have depth, texture, wetness, softness, etc. So let's begin.

If you'd like you can skip ahead to the part you want:

No comments:

Post a Comment